Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Battankill



I guess this isn't really upstate, but it was a different state of mind. We were too sketched out to stop and take a picture of the "foreigners go home sign". They guy probably meant us anyway.

Knowing when the climbs and dirt were coming was supposed to be helpful.... Failed attempt at pro style below. At least the rain didn't wash it all away.


My career as a cycling photog is pretty weak. A careful scan of the front row will reveal all the riders who got called up. No call up for Tim Johnson or Adam Myerson?

Sram support. Always rad.

I pretty much gave up on the photos and just tried to enjoy the day.
I don't think the world needs another race report on this, but two things bear mentioning.
First off, I owe a giant debt of gratitude to the anyonmous hero who gave
me a bottle of water on MeetingHouse Road. A real American hero.
Second hats off to the 50 or 60+ Masters crew that rolled across the line
arguing. You think cyclists get less cranky as they age? Imagine racing
against the same guys for that long?
It lived up to it's reputation. Hard but worth it. Would do it again, but next time I want to hit Paris-Ancaster in Ontario the next day. Double the fun.

Parting thought. This race is tough, but I think it compares more to the Tro Bro Leon more than Roubaix. I guess Tro Bro Battankill doesn't really roll off the tongue.
The Tro Bro this year was won by BBox Bouyges youngster Said Haddou.

No comments: