Thursday, January 8, 2009

homework and heresy

Just got done with my homework.
Homework is how I classify everything you have to do to make sure you have a good weekend of riding. Some weeks it's easy-clean the bike and ride the trainer. Other times its pre-dawn intervals and lunch hour hellrides to the bikeshop. Too often it's mowing the lawn and doing the shit around the house you know you will skip for a longer ride and a nap on the weekend.
What happens when you don't do your homework? Weekend ruined by a dirty, poorly maintained bike. Dropped by your crew to suffer alone. That's right skip on your homework and you fail. There is a lot of homework that needs to get done to guarantee a few hours of fun on the weekend.

As far as heresy. I pretty much follow all of the commonly held cycling rules. But there are a couple I completely disregard. Just like Greg LeMond, I will eat ice cream and I have no fear of air conditioning-especially in motels. The biggest one that I cannot abide is the glasses over the helmet straps. Never been a fan. Don't see the point. Not gonna do it.

No comments: