Thursday, July 5, 2007

Late 4th of July thoughts


Since I have been riding bikes, I have always lusted and obsessed over Italian frames. Colnago,Pinarello,DeRosa,Fondriest, etc, etc. Willier,Daccordia,Cinelli,Casati, and on and on. But in the last few months, it's been all American frames that get me drooling. Cannondale,Specialized,Lemond, and even Trek have been innovating at a rapid rate with carbon fibre. Trek took advantage of the cycling news dead zone post-Giro to get maximum coverage for its super tech new Madone.
A lot of these are at a unreal price. Why? Euro vs Dollar going the wrong way? Economy of scale? Either way, if you can give me high performance at a low price, I will sacrifice some or all Euro-style points. So I guess I will have to change my name to CHOP(cheap hairy old grump), but price matters and some of these US frame makers are packing mega value. And I haven't even brought up the likes of Fuji or GT or Schwinn or Raleigh who are all gunning hard for your money with unreal deals.
So that's my GO USA moment for the 4th on the 5th.
Nothing will ever be as rad as throwing you leg over some obscure Euro masterpiece, but the competition is getting pretty stiff for the old masters.
Who would have thought I would be more likely to buy a Tarmac than a C-50?

No comments: