Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Near Beer Last Night LP


This is some legit live Honky Tonk shit. Near Beer recorded this in 78. Live over the 4th of July weekend at the American Legion Post#474 in Matteson, Illinois. These guys are a bar band and also apparently "America's hardest working unknown band" The album cover is awesome. The covers are great-"Mama Tried","Understand your Man","I fought the law" and the Redneck Medley are all great. Wade Rivers originals like "I like country music(with my beer)" deliver the goods. Johnny Memphis on accordion adds a nice touch to the band and he gets to step out on side 2's "Chantay Boogie". Sounds like it was recorded in front of a crowd of several. Live production could be stronger, but doesn't detract from the band. Hoyt Axton's "boney fingers" makes up a third of the "redneck medley" and is good enough to make me want to track down the original
Picked it up for 3 bucks. It was in an LP bag that had $25 inked on it and I find that pretty hard to believe. Either way this is a nice slice of honky tonk obscurity and I would be stoked to walk into a bar and have these guys playing if I was planning on drinking.
This classic was released on Cowboy Carl Records out of Park Forest Illinois.

No comments: