Tuesday, September 16, 2008

The joy of the 5K

Last year I ran a bunch of 5Ks anc Cross country races through the fall and winter. It was fun and pretty effective cross-training. I am really looking forward to hitting some of these races again this year!
The 5K is like the everyman's chance to shine event. A relatively pain free way to test yourself and push for PRs. You can stick a toe in the pain cave or cannonball in, but either way it's over in around 20 minutes. They are also fun and usually have beer and food at the end.
If there was a cycling equivalent of the 5K you might see way more people getting involved and maybe even having fun.
Rolling up to the weekend oval crit and negotiating the long silences, hard looks, and pre race rituals of mega-competitors can get old fast. Maybe I am not type A enough, but racing should be fun first.

I guess I need to just start racing cross and get it over with

No comments: