Sunday, May 6, 2007

A little late to the party


A lot of ink has been spilled about Canada's Fucked Up and I was not paying much attention. I think I got an early split 7" and must have been unimpressed cause I don't remember a thing about it. So their torrent of subsequent 7"S went ignored by yours truly. At some point they signed to Jade Tree and dropped "Hidden World". I started hearing some people bitching and some people raving which I took to be a good sign. I picked up the "epics in minutes" cd comp. Damn, how did I sleep on this group. Really anthemic hardcore. A little Poison Idea a little John Brannon and a whole lot of wise ass lyrics. Baiting the Public really grabbed me. So accepting that I missed the boat, I moved on to the controversial new album. Had they sold out?, fucked up the formula?, faded away? Time to find out. To me it sounded good, they may push the song lengths in a "youth of america" fashion sometimes, but if the riffs are good who cares. "Crusades" kept the "baiting the public" anthemic shit rolling.
These guys might be one of the only new bands I hear kids rave about that lived up to the hype.

No comments: