Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Kenny Burrell God Bless the Child LP


Kenny Burrell 5 tracks from 1971 on CTI. All Star lineup including Ron Carter, Billy Cobham, Freddie Hubbard, Hubert Laws, Ray Barretto, and AIrto Moreiro. I was used to Kenny being kind of overshadowed playing with Jimmy Smith and was curious to see what he would do on his own. "Love is the Answer" is the 2nd track and it's a heavy hitter Starts out slow with a nice groove. The strings and percussion move it along with a nice latin groove and like most rare groove jams it kicks it up over the solos. This is song that I wish went on longer. Up next is "Do what you gotta do" which has a more typical up tempo groove with Hubert Laws on flute. Freddie Hubbard takes a nice solo and the percussion is understated but effective.
The title track is a heavily orhestrated affair that isn't my style. Not bad, but not for me. Side 2 finishes off with "God Bless the Child" which is also a little too sappy for me but I prefer it to the title track.

CTI 6011. Four bucks for 2 great tracks. I would be psyched if it was a 45 and that's not bad for an LP. It's worth it just for "Love is the Answer".

No comments: